Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

Can the CEOs wife keep calling a manager out or the blue

Customer Question

Can the CEOs wife keep calling a manager out or the blue calling manager a lier 4 times in a day and just keep harassing manager because manager refuses to accept the things bad being said to manager in the state of Georgia
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, unless you have an employment contract which specifically states that you can only be terminated for cause, this is a very dangerous position to be in.

While the CEO's wife may have no legal say in the office, she is the CEO's wife, and if you don't have an employment contract stating that you can only be terminated for cause, you can legally be terminated without cause in your state (called at will employment).

While it would be a HORRIBLE reason for a CEO to terminate someone, simply based on not listening to their wife's ranting, it would not be illegal.

Now, what the wife is doing is technically defamation if she is telling others that you are a liar and if you ultimately lose this job because of her lies, you should absolutely sue her for defamation....but suing while you are still employed hurts more than it helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's where it's headed but I need to create another email it's my work email and she reads them it's a very long discussion I need to have with a lawyer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have contract

Does your contract specifically state that you can ONLY be terminated for cause?

Otherwise, it is not a real contract. It's just a statement of terms of employment, which is "at will."

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, then you're in a better off position. It may be in your best interest to seek local counsel to send her a cease and desist, if you can show that the statements she is make are false AND that she making those statements to someone other than yourself.

If she is just making statements to you, that's not defamation but rather, harassment. You can also seek a cease desist letter there too, but it is just from a different legal angle.

I'm sure that wouldn't warm the CEO up to you, but any termination would be subject to a wrongful termination suit under the contract of employment.