Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

Can a school district submit your 157 days of sick pay to

Customer Question

Can a school district submit your 157 days of sick pay to TRS(Teachers retirement System) although you didn't request this submission. They also made an declaration that the sick days would be distributed monthly at a rate of $100.00 per month. I would have to live until I'm 90 years old to obtain all the benefits. My salary was $76,000 yearly.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
In Illinois, retired teachers get to count their unused sick leave as extra service credit toward their pensions. The state treats every day of this unused sick leave as an extra day spent in the classroom. So, legally they would give you credit towards your pension for retirement for unused sick leave under the IL law. See: 80 Ill. Admin. Code 1650.350, which says that Members receive service credit at retirement for unused, uncompensated sick leave. The amount of service credit available to a member can be determined by dividing the number of reportable sick leave days by 170. Members may receive up to a maximum of two years of credit.
They would have to credit the time towards your retirement day for day as though you worked those days in accordance with the IL law.