wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  14 years exp, General counsel for National Corp. firms, Hostos College instructor, Represented employees in discrimination lawsuits
16356563

I may have been wrongfully let go from my job of 27 yrs.

Customer Question

I may have been wrongfully let go from my job of 27 yrs. Monday we started the seasonal parking plan, which is day shift parks in the north lot and nights park in the south lot. I pulled in and went to north lot where I normally park and was told by a GL move further north, moved to another spot and again told to move. Now I'm getting frustrated and left that spot quickly to another. This time wasn't looking and accidentally pulled into a visitor's spot. Again pulled out quickly when was told to move, I did say something to myself, which I don't know if the GL heard me. Yesterday HR called and I was terminated for Reckless Behavior in the parking lot and they said I flipped off the GL with my middle finger, which I didn't. Last week I had my 3rd quarter review and two outstanding's and the rest where meets. Never had any issues with my performance.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  wallstreetfighter replied 1 year ago.

this is an unfortunate situation, are you part of any Union, or did you have a contract with the employer?

did you file for unemployment benefits?

in MN, an employer can terminate any employee for any reason, except if it violates the employees protected civil rights, such as their race, gender, age or religion, or if the employee is protected through a contract.

Clearly in this situation, your termination was unfair, and you should apply for unemployment benefits as soon as possible, and if the employer tries to fight you, you can request a full hearing and they would have to prove you intentionally violated company policy, or was terminated for cause, which they will not be able to prove.

if they make false statements to others about your work history, you can also sue them for defamation.

If you have a contract which states you can only be terminated for cause, you should consider a wrongful termination lawsuit against the employer.

Good luck, and if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask. If satisfied with our service please provide us with positive feedback, thank you