wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  14 years exp, General counsel for National Corp. firms, Hostos College instructor, Represented employees in discrimination lawsuits
16356563

After 3 months on the job as a Supervisor, I learned from

Customer Question

After 3 months on the job as a Supervisor, I learned from both the owner and his son, that the company was stealing from the state...I walked out within the hour, and I contacted state authorities (there is an investigation, now). Can I get unemployment benefits, in Illinois?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  wallstreetfighter replied 1 year ago.

This is an unfortunate situation, under State law you can only obtain benefits if you quit for good cause,

in a situation such as this if you can prove the reasons for the resignation, and that you made the complaint, a resignation would be good cause, and you should be given unemployment benefits.

When you apply for benefits, you would state you had good cause to quit, sue to the fact the employer was violating state law and you being employed would make you an accomplice as well.

Good luck, and if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

if satisfied with our service please provide us with positive feedback, thank you