RESPONDER9
RESPONDER9, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with more than 20 years of expertise.
71277549

I am on the verge of being terminated due to positive

Customer Question

I am on the verge of being terminated due to positive breathalyzer test. There are a few things I don't agree with when it comes to how clear our policies are when it comes to our company alcohol policy. We have a 9hr cut off as to when we stop drinking and it is a rule I followed. Come to find out. Someone of my size can have alcohol in their system for 13 or more hours depending. I unfortunately never realized it could be that long at all and so I blew positive. Our policy does say you will be terminated if intoxicated. But if you go to work without any knowledge of this, I am trying to fight it. I will get an answer tomorrow.
I wanted to know if I should pursue legally if terminated.
Thank you for any advice you can provide
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  RESPONDER9 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and I am very sorry to see this has occurred. You are correct that alcohol testing can be inaccurate at times. There a few possibilities for you. One is to contact your union if you have one to ask their help. Another is to try your human resources department to explain. If terminated, you might have an argument that the employer failed to follow the same rules for all employees and this resulted in discrimination toward you. This is very difficult to prove but not impossible. Hope this helps?

Expert:  RESPONDER9 replied 1 year ago.

You've had some time to review my answer, and I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating; these allow me to continue to serve customers. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question and keeps your payment unless you request a refund because the website charged you the full value of your question at the time an answer was provided. Thanks.