Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Former judicial law clerk, lawyer
26798026

I am an employee within an organization and another employee

Customer Question

I am an employee within an organization and another employee was fired and now she has filed a compliant that she was harrased and discriminated by me .How does this affect me as an employee ?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

If she's suing the company based on your conduct, you will probably have to give a deposition, produce any documents that the company asks for, and testify at trial. That's going to mean missing some work or could mean working longer hours to make sure everything they need is provided. If they ask you to assist in the investigation or the lawsuit and you refuse, there's a good chance they will terminate your employment. If a judge finds that you did harass and discriminate against her, they could terminate your employment. If your employer winds up settling the case, then what action they take against you, if any, could come down to whether they believed the allegations or if they paid her to avoid a public, messy lawsuit. You will likely be able to keep your job if the judge says they can't prove harassment and discrimination, although there could be issues if there's a history of complaints against you (even if they turn out to be unfounded).

But if she clearly filed the Complaint because she's mad she was fired, there was some other reason for firing her, and you give your employer whatever help they request during the case, there's a good chance you'll be able to keep your current position.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. If I did not address the specific thing that you wanted to know, it may not have come across clearly to me, so please restate that question. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.