Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I asked a question earlier about getting off but being

Customer Question

I asked a question earlier about getting laid off but being offered another job for possibly less pay. I was worried about it affecting my unemployment benefits if I didn't take that position. I have been told I would be filling in for an individual that
is injured and my boss cannot promise that it well be a permanent position. If I take a different job at another location (same company) knowing that it is temporary will that affect my ability to get unemployment?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Accepting a "temp" job will have no impact on unemployment eligibility. However, refusing an offer of "suitable work," regardless of duration, will have an impact on eligibility. Whether an offer of work is "suitable" depends on many things, the most notable of which is pay.

An offer of work is not automatically deemed unsuitable if it is less than the employee's previous rate. Suitability is judged on a case by case basis, but generally offers of 30% less will be deemed "unsuitable," and thus, capable of being refused without compromising UI eligibility. An employee should understand, however, that any time they refuse an offer of work they are assuming a risk that the unemployment office will find it a refusal of suitable work and deny benefits on t hat basis. Therefore, unless the work is truly and completely unsuitable, it is better not to chance it and accept the job. Of course, you can look for new employment while working the job and simply quit once you've secured another job.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.