Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I'm a registered nurse and work at a hospital and this

Customer Question

I'm a registered nurse and work at a hospital and this is my situation. I work day surgery and take care of multiple pts at one time post op due to short staff. I took care of a patient post removal of a cyst removal from ovary in June of this year. On
arrival she was gagging and felt nauseated so I administered phenegran iv one time for her nausea. Well today my manager stated that our risk management nurse stated that patient is complaining now that she developed a hernia abdominal due to her vomiting
post op this past June. On reviewing the chart I didn't document that she had nausea but I did administer her anti emetic drug IV. I don't remember why I didn't document her nausea. So risk management nurse is questioning me why I gave her an anti emetic drug
and didn't document the reason. How can this affect me and can I lose my job? How do I prepare?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm a registered nurse and work at a hospital and this is my situation. I work day surgery and take care of multiple pts at one time post op due to short staff. I took care of a patient post removal of a cyst removal from ovary in June of this year. On arrival she was gagging and felt nauseated so I administered phenegran iv one time for her nausea. Well today my manager stated that our risk management nurse stated that patient is complaining now that she developed a hernia abdominal due to her vomiting post op this past June. On reviewing the chart I didn't document that she had nausea but I did administer her anti emetic drug IV. I don't remember why I didn't document her nausea. So risk management nurse is questioning me why I gave her an anti emetic drug and didn't document the reason. How can this affect me and can I lose my job? How do I prepare?

Response: Your only defense here would be that you were over extended and inadvertently did not document the reason that you administered the drug on the patient. You also need to call the risk management nurse's attention to the patient's complaints on her arrival in your unit. It would be helpful if these complaints were documented. Finally, if the patient is an established patient at the hospital, her medical records should unearth her previous complaints on the same matter if the patient were to sue the hospital or you for negligence.

It is doubtful that you would lose your job over this since you were overworked on the day the incident happened. The hospital should have expected this kind of mistakes when you are shot staffed.