Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I feel I was totally terminated other reason other than a

Customer Question

I feel I was totally terminated for no other reason other than a disagreement... I work for a Salon that contracts in a Senior Living Community.... I've been there since they opened 5 years ago....never had an issue with anyone... My manager made me manager in the salon so I basically ran it on my own.
They Executive Director called a meeting with my manager on this past Monday and gave her an ultimatum... Either I go or they pull.out of the facility?!? She then called me on Monday and let me go right over the phone and honestly couldn't give me a solid reason which is making my head spin!! There was no warning no nothing!! I was completely devastated and heartbroken over this!! I love my job and loved servicing the elderly... They looked so forward to this service weekly!!
I would like to know if I have any rights in this situation! I appreciate it very much.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I am sorry to hear of this matter.

Unless you had an employment contract, that being with a start date and an end date, and your termination was before the end date, then there is nothing illegal about the termination. Without a contract, you are an "at will" employee. That means that you can be terminated for any reason unless it is based on discrimination. Discrimination includes because of your gender, age, race, religion, a disability or national origin.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Because you were terminated, you do have the right to apply for unemployment.

If you feel it is based on discrimination as stated, then you should consider contacting the EEOC and making a complaint.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

I wish it was better news for you. But employers can hire and fire when they want, as long as it is not discriminatory and there is no employment contract. And they do not need to give a reason.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have other questions in this regard. Keep in mind, I can only answer and provide information for what you ask. I do not know what you need to know, unless you tell me. Please rate positive as this is how I get credit for my time and information.

Thank you