Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  In-House Counsel & Litigator
12711280

I recently sustained a severe concussion due to a non-work

Customer Question

I recently sustained a severe concussion due to a non-work related accident. I was out of work for four days last week (doctor's orders), and then went to a follow-up appointment today and was told I need to be out another week because it's still pretty severe. I provided the documentation promptly to my employer. I'm worried - could I lose my job for this? I've received no indication I will, but this is the first time I've dealt with this at a job.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Absolutely not. As long as you have provided medical documentation as to the doctor's orders relative to your health, they cannot terminate you. If they were do to so, you would have a very viable ADA discrimination based law suit. You may not be paid for the days that you miss or you may have to use medical leave or vacation, but they cannot terminate you for a short term medical absense such as this one.

I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of employment law experience.

You just need to concentrate on getting better and don't worry about losing your job.

Please rate my answer positively (4 or 5 stars) and let me know if you have any other questions.

Best!

Just checking in with you to see if you had any additional questions or comments. I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible moving forward. Thanks