Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

I am a full time employee at a large company in MA. My new

Customer Question

I am a full time employee at a large company in MA. My new manager is disbanding my team and redeploying my staff. She has indicated that she feels I am over graded (level-wise) and when I asked about my job, she has been evasive. She has been inconsistent about my fate, but has not been willing to admit that my job is going away. She has identified possibly other responsibilities, but has been clear that I may either be transitioned into the role or may have to apply for it. All of the responsibilities she has described are a subset of my responsibilities. I suspect she is trying to force me to accept a downgrade without performance cause, or send a clear message to me in hopes that I leave on my own without having to provide a 'package'. Any advice you can provide about my rights would be appreciated.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. I'm sorry to hear about your job situation - it's not easy going to work each day knowing your job is in jeoardy.

I'll need to ask you some preliminary questions before I can give you an answer to your question. Are you in a union or do you otherwise have a contract for"just cause" (as opposed to “at will" employment which is the default employment condition)? Do you think the manager who is doing this to you has an ulterior motive in terminating you, perhaps your age, race, gender,disability or religious beliefs?