Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I retired from teaching in 2009 because my employer refused

Customer Question

I retired from teaching in 2009 because my employer refused to make an accommodation to my job and relieve me of lunch duty twice per week. Since then, I have come to find out that they really should have accommodated me. Do I have a case for a civil suit or is it too long ago?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Good evening and welcome. I am very sorry to hear about this situation.

Unfortunately, I must tell you that the statute of limitations for pursuing a claim for failure to provide reasonable accommodations is 300 days from the conduct giving rise to the claim. This means that the statute of limitations for an individual in your circumstance would have passed several years ago and you would now be time-barred from asserting a claim. I wish I could provide better news, but I hope that you appreciate a straight forward answer so that you can move forward knowing that you explored all options.

If I can clarify anything at all, just let me know.

Hello again,

I just wanted to followup with you to make sure that you did not have any further questions or concerns. For some unknown reason, the experts are not always getting replies or ratings (which is how we get credit for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have not yet received either. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the site administrator.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed.

Very best wishes.