Ray, Employment lawyer
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
8534270

I have worked Boston Company 10 years. I had a vacation

Customer Question

I have worked for a Boston Company for over 10 years. I had a vacation planned for October which I had discussed with HR (I had been out for back surgery) when I returned to work in June. They refused to allow me the time even though I had over 100 hours of accumulated vacation time. I was given no option but to resign as thus was a family trip and paid for. Upon return from the trip I requested that I be re-hired. I was told I was not needed, BUT my job is online and they are hiring for it. I believe they are not re-hiring be because of my age (68) and I was previously out for the back surgery. Do I Have a Case?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you tonight.

You can file here with EEOC and claim age and possibly sex discrimination. They will investigate and may issue a right to sue letter.

You may choose to file suit on the basis of discrimination.You may well have good facts to present to EEOC and in such a suit.

File EEOC complaint here..

http://www.eeoc.gov/employees/charge.cfm

Age discrimination involves treating someone (an applicant or employee) less favorably because of his or her age.

The Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) only forbids age discrimination against people who are age 40 or older.

The law forbids discrimination when it comes to any aspect of employment, including hiring, firing, pay, job assignments, promotions, layoff, training, fringe benefits, and any other term or condition of employment.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.I hope you will file with EEOC and consider a civil claim for discrimination here.