Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Former judicial law clerk, lawyer
26798026

I was recently terminated as a plant manager a hour and a

Customer Question

I was recently terminated as a plant manager for taking a hour and a half lunch (salaried employee). A few days prior to this incident, I was in a meeting with the Director of R&D where he stated that they have been substituting a more expenses material for a cheaper material that was not included on the MSDS. I told my boss about the meeting and now without a job. I worked for a Fortune 150 company. Is there anything I can do?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

It's a violation of federal law to terminate an employee for reporting legal violations, even if it's an internal complaint rather than made to a government agency. If the director is breaking the law by using unsafe materials, and they fired you for mentioning it - that's illegal. You have the ability to sue for reinstatement, backpay, and punitive damages, plus your attorney's fees.

If you have not already done so, you may want to contact the HR department or your boss's boss, explain that it is illegal for them to fire you in this situation, and see if they can correct this situation. Or you can contact a local attorney and ask them to send a demand letter, insisting that your employer rehire you to avoid a lawsuit. The third option is to file a lawsuit against them for unlawful termination.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.