John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

I have an employee stating that I to give m a written letter

Customer Question

I have an employee stating that I to give him a written letter to terminate him. I paid him in full and told him his services were not needed. He worked 90 days total. He also wanted two weeks severence
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

A written notice as follows is required under Cal law: http://www.edd.ca.gov/payroll_taxes/pdf/NoticetoEmployeeastoChangeinRelationship.pdf

Severance is not required under Cal or federal law.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

If you provided benefits you also need to ensure he gets cobra notice, and an unemployment pamphlet - http://www.edd.ca.gov/pdf_pub_ctr/de2320.pdf.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as itis the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.