Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  In-House Counsel & Litigator
12711280

Is it legal to announce to other employees in a meeting that

Customer Question

Is it legal to announce to other employees in a meeting that I was not invited to announce that I am having a hysterectamy? Clackamas County, Oregon
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

In short, no. This is a violation of your rights to privacy and arguably a violation of your HIPAA rights if your employer provides health care coverage to you in the form of insurance (this would potentially loop them in as an entity that is privy to your private health care information and therefore preclude them from releasing such information).

It is not legal for them to do this and you likely have a viable cause of action against them if you so chose for violation of your privacy rights, negligence and even a violation of HIPAA.

Let me know if you have any additional questions and please rate my answer positively.

Thanks and I wish you the best going forward.

Just checking with you to see if you had any additional questions. I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible with this issue moving forward. Thanks