Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

I currently work in MA and live in CT. The Company that I

Customer Question

I currently work in MA and live in CT. The Company that I work for is being acquired and I have been told that I am to be let go on January 31, 2016.
Do I apply for unemployment in MA (where I worked) or CT (where I live) and what do I need as far as paperwork to apply? Also what is the maximum benefit allowed and how is it calculated?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

If you have been being paid as an employee and they had you fill out a W2, then you would be being taxed in your home state and not where the company is, so that would mean filing in CT.

The maximum benefit rate is $589 a week. They determinate your weekly rate by looking at the last four calendar quarters (called the base period) and take the two highest quarters during that base period to come up with your quarterly average.

So, let's say you made $5000 in the highest and then $4500 in the next highest quarter. That would be an average of $4750. That is then divided by 26, which is the number of weekly payments allowed. In that case, it would be about $182.70 a week.

You would just have to contact them and apply and have information concerning your employer. Most do not require paperwork to apply and have an entire online system for application and for weekly reporting of any income that week and job searches. The state will send a questionnaire to the employer concerning your employment.