Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

Salaried exempt employee is required to attend a "pep rally"

Customer Question

Salaried exempt employee is required to attend a "pep rally" on their day off. There will be disciplinary actions taken if they do not attend the mandatory pep rally on their regularly scheduled day off. The employee had prearranged plans to be out of state on the date. Is this legal?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

As a salaried exempt employee, there is no limit to the number of hours the employer can require the employee to work. Accordingly, there is nothing illegal about requiring a salary exempt employee to attend a pep rally on a regularly scheduled day off. If an employee refuses to attend such an event, the employer can discipline the employee or even terminate the employment relationship all together. Of course, this is not to say that is what the employer WILL do, but they would have the right.

I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.