Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I retired from a school job and am collecting ipers. I have

Customer Question

I retired from a school job and am collecting ipers. I have a new job in construction and will be laid off for the winter months. Can I collect unemployment benefits?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The rule is that if you have not retired from the base period job, you can still apply for and be eligible for unemployment benefits. So as long as you are not receiving your retirement from the base employer, the construction company, you still qualify for unemployment and you do not claim any retirement since you are not receiving that from the construction company it is from other employment that you are not claiming unemployment from. IA says for retirement to disqualify you, it has to be "employer based retirement," and the retirement you are receiving is not from the employer you are claiming unemployment from.