Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

I have worked at this place in a half years with no

Customer Question

I have worked at this place for 5 in a half years with no complaint. I got a call over the phone I had complaints an I was never called to the office or written up. So I wanted to no is that legal.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

In employment law, if you have no employment contract specifically stating that you can only be terminated for cause, your employment is 'at will' and can legally be terminated at any time, with or without cause. The employer does not have to have had prior complaints or a history of documented issues to terminate someone.

You don't have to be called into the office or written up either. The employer can just make a decision without going through any sort of formal process.

Unless you can allege that the only reason you are now being released is discrimination against your race, religion, gender, age, disability or recent FMLA use, there isn't anything illegal in the facts you've mentioned.