Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

I'm in construction management and I have to work every

Customer Question

I'm in construction management and I have to work every weekend from 12:00 AM Saturday to 12:00 PM Saturday then 12:00 AM Sunday to 12:00 PM Sunday. Then during the week I work from 7:00 AM-4:00 PM on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
I realize that this adds up to 40 hours. However, two days a week I'm either recovering from night work or trying to sleep to get ready for night work. It feels like I only have one day off (Thursday) on top of the tolls taken on my sleep, eating and digestive system. I'm sleeping on Monday because I didn't sleep Sunday night and I'm trying to sleep, usually unsuccessfully, on Friday getting ready for night work.
This has been going on for a year and most likely for the next two years. When you go to work on a Saturday, come home on the same Saturday and then go back to work on that same Saturday you honestly have no idea what day it is.
Is it legal to force someone to work like this?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, yes it is. In fact, they could legally require that sort of schedule but 50 or 60 hours a week, as long you are paid properly for the overtime.

There is no law outlining shift times or how much rest must be given between shifts unless you are a truck driver or air line pilot.