Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  In-House Counsel & Litigator
12711280

Can I get compensation being able to take (2) allowed 15

Customer Question

Can I get compensation for not being able to take (2) allowed 15 minute breaks per 8 hour shift and not always getting a full half hour lunch/dinner break due to under staffing and pressure to complete the number of Emergency registrations compared to the other coworkers on the same shift.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

You may be able to get compensation for this egregious treatment, but you are going to likely have to prove that this treatment was the result of discrimination based either on your age, race, gender or disability (all items that are protected under the Civil Rights Act and that are subject to overview by the federal court system).

If you can articulate that this treatment was the result of discrimination, then you can get compensation, including back pay, other damages and attorney fees. In order to start this process, you need to file a complaint with your local EEOC office. They will investigate the matter and if they find merit, will allow you to sue in federal court.

Your employer cannot retaliate against you for filing an EEOC complaint. If they do, that opens up grounds for a secondary suit, even if your discrimination suit is tossed.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments.

Please rate my answer positively as well.

Best wishes going forward!

Just checking in on you to see if you had any additional questions. I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible with these issues moving forward. Thanks

Just checking one last time. Not trying to be a bother...just want to make sure you are good to go.