Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

I am being "urged" by a W2 territory manager of an insurance

Customer Question

I am being "urged" by a W2 territory manager of an insurance carrier to "step down" from my contract as an independent contractor called a District General Agent which in reality is a broker contract. I have been a statutory employee of their competitor for the last two years and they do not like that I draw income from both carriers. What options do I have to get them to cease and decist from trying to get me to change my contract that I signed over 5 years ago?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. You say that you have a contract, can you tell me if it is a term contract and if so, when it expires? If not a term contract, what does it say about termination by either party?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think you even interpreted my question correctly. I am not a policyholder, I am an agent.

Hello again and thank you for your reply, I completely understood your question and that you were the agent, that is why I asked about a term contract, which is an employment contract. I need to know if you have one or not. Any agreement in writing that is for a particular period, or is it open ended as to how long you will be working for the Company, and does it say anything about terminating the agreement early?