John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

My employer wants me to pay surgery necessary as the result

Customer Question

My employer wants me to pay for a surgery necessary as the result of an industrial accident which I have filed a clain towards, isn't this a violation of labor law in washington state?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

What's happening here is that the employer's workers compensation coverage carrier is denying liability, which is their right to do. Don't put much validity in the "independent medical examiner" - they are not independent and they are hired by the insurers to deny coverage...that's their job. You need to dispute asap that denial by filing a workers compensation appeal. You need to hire a workers compensation attorney because these cases are too complicated to be handled by someone who is not trained in such matters. You'll then have your treating physician to rely on for medical opinions to get you that surgery. I would not pay out of pocket for the surgery (unless you really, really need it now)until the claim was finalized.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as itis the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.