Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

I worked same non-profit years. Due to harassment by another

Customer Question

I worked for the same non-profit for 20 years. Due to harassment by another employee who the company did nothing about, they gave me $30,000 to leave the job and not sue them for not addressing an unsafe workplace. This was paid in a lump sum after leaving the job six months after my last day at work. I was told that it is not taxable because it was not based on wages and was paid after a non-reasonable length of time. My employer put it on a W 2, but I think they should have put it on a 1099 box 3 or 7, not sure, because I should not have paid so much taxes for non-wages. My $30,000 check after taxes became more like $23,920. I read I could file for a refund with the IRS because I was paid after Jan. 23rd, 2012. I also ended up paying over $700.00 penalty because it looked like I made more wages effecting my Covered California Health coverage. Do I have to go back to my employer to ask them to correct the money to a 1099, or can I just go to the IRS to correct this mistake. The settlement/separation from work papers says on it in lieu of not suing for harassment in the workplace. Please help, I don't want to go back to my old employer if I don't have to, but there does not seem to be any IRS offices you can walk into to get help on corrections. Thank you, ***** *****
Category: Employment Law