Ray, Employment lawyer
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
8534270

I have been employed years by a large company. The week

Customer Question

I have been employed for 24 years by a large company. The week before last they put me on corrective action and offered to give me 13 weeks pay and i sign a bunch of papers waiving my right to sue for age discrimination, etc. Today they advised me that my job is one of 1500 being eliminated, but because I'm on corrective that's the only offer I get. I feel this is very convenient for them.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you.I am so sorry that you are having to go through all of this.

You have the right to file EEOC here and sue them and reject the severance pay.If you feel you have great facts here then file with EEOC and take your chances.This isn't a lot of severance as you state.

File here.

http://www.eeoc.gov/employees/charge.cfm

Lawyer referral here..

http://www.lawyers.com/labor-and-employment/minnesota/find-law-firms-by-city/

If you file EEOC and a wrongful termination suit you may get more down the road than they are offering here.Try to locate a lawyer that would do this contingent fee or contingent fee with some expense money.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

This sure has the appearance of being age discrimination and there may be other violations.I can understand your frustration here, you have given them many years of service.You may choose to pursue this rather than the severance.

Thanks again and the best to you.