Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

Never been to this site before but we will try this out. I

Customer Question

Never been to this site before but we will try this out. I drive a company vehicle (construction). We are permitted to drive it daily and take it home at night. The other night a $400 saw was stolen from the car (no damage to vehicle). The company is asking that I pay for the saw. I feel responsible, but I don't want to establish a trend if this is not right.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

There is nothing illegal about them asking you to reimburse them for the stolen property. However, they would not have a legal entitlement to reimbursement unless they could prove that you were negligent in allowing it to be stolen (i.e. you forgot to lock the truck or roll up the windows). Under no circumstance can they deduct from your wages to offset for this loss.

So, how you choose to handle this matter is really up to you. I can understand you not wanting to set a trend of paying for company losses. However, paying for the saw might get you back in the good graces of the company. Ultimately, if it were me, it would come down to what role I played in the loss. If the theft legitimately was not my fault, I would politely explain to my employer why and that I believe it would be unfair to make me the insurer for company losses that occurred through no fault of my own. On the other hand, if I played a roll in the loss, I would probably pay for it.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.