Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

I have been at my job years. i have recently been at odds

Customer Question

I have been at my job for 10 years. i have recently been at odds with my supervisor on several issues.. there was a meeting overseen by upper mgmt. where i was unable to address these issues.. i sent a follow up email to clarify the discrepencies.. it has been 2 weeks with no response.. I have also inquired about a recent position opening over the last 2 months, and was told i may apply once the available position is posted.. It has yet to be posted. As of yesterday the position will be filled by another coworker that has been here for less than 12months. my question is what do i do now? I have spent my career dedicated to this organization, i am not willing to accept this oversight and the potential negative effects both fiscally and professionally.. what happens now?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, unless you can point to a specific form of discrimination that is at the heart of this issue (based on race, religion, gender, age, disability or recent medical leave use), you have not mentioned anything illegal.

An employer has no obligation to post a job. Hiring someone with less experience is not, itself, illegal. Not allowing others to be considered for a job is not, itself illegal. Ignoring workplace issues is not, by itself, illegal.

For those facts to have any usefulness, from an employment law stand point, they have to point towards discrimination, such that, you can claim disparate treatment based on race, religion, gender, age, disability or recent FMLA use.