Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years practicing attorney
19958803

The building that I work with was sold. It is a

Customer Question

the building that I work with was sold. It is a hotel/restaurant now. They are telling us that we are part of the sell and when the new owners take over they are laying everyone off. Who's responsibility is it to pay the unemployment and are the legally required to give us more than three weeks notice? I live in Pennsylvania
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Who owned the hotel/restaurant... is it privately owned?.

.

Do you work for the hotel/restaurant and receive a paycheck from them?

.

How many people would be out of work if they closed?

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a part of an corporation. Yes I work for the hotel and recieve a paycheck from them. 51 employees will lose their jobs
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Ok, then unfortunately, unless you are under a written fixed term employment contract, then you would be considered an employee at will in PA. What this means is that an employee can quit or an employer can fire or change the terms of employment (change hours, location, duties, pay, etc.) at any time for any or no reason at all.

.

So they wouldn't legally have to give you any notice at all if they chose not to do so and could shut down immediately once a sale is completed.

.

As for unemployment, the state will provide benefits to any workers who lose their jobs and it is funded by the unemployment compensation payments the employer has paid in over the years to the state.

.

.

thanks