Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

One member of my board of directors wanted a written answer

Customer Question

One member of my board of directors wanted a written answer for why I was terminated. The CEO provided a document signed by a female employee that indicated she was subjected to a hostile work environment. This reprimand had been given to me without any discussion with me prior to the issuance of the reprimand. The female employee was actually upset for not being invited to a meeting. She did not report to me and I did not invite her because the CEO told me who to invite. The CEO wanted me gone before this and this was a way to accomplish his goal. I want the email record with this employee to be produced. It will show the relationship between us and the lack of any hostile environment. Is it worth pursuing as we are an at will state but this is now in a file somewhere
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. I am very sorry to hear you were let go. However, I must tell you that there is no legal right to "defend" against this sort of accusation nor would there be any legal basis to compel the production of the email. As you correctly state, employment is at will absent an agreement to the contrary and as such can be terminated with or without cause at any time. So really all you can do here is attempt to reason with your employer that the email should be produced. Beyond persuasion you would not typically have any recourse. I wish I could provide better news but I hope this answers your question.

Was I able to answer your question? Please let me know if i can be of any further service....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ultimately I was able to acquire the document written by the lady in question. Her document actually validates my story about her anger was about not being invited to a meeting. She never accused me of a hostile work environment although she said I indicated she had a pretty face. My supervisor totally embellished what she said. Do I have recourse?

Thank you for your reply. Again, though, employment is at will and so employers are not required to be fair when it comes to management decisions. So, this email might help you persuade your employer to reconsider their action but it will not require them to. I hope this clarifies things. I wish you luck moving forward.