Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  In-House Counsel & Litigator
12711280

Regarding an Erisa qualified companies right of subrogation

Customer Question

Regarding an Erisa qualified companies right of subrogation or lien for recovery of medical benefits from third party, may attorney for injured party recover attorneys fees
from Erisa payor?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

The Plaintiff is to be made "whole" so the argument is there that reasonable attorney fees should be included in this recovery process. Some states like Georgia specifically allow for attorney fees by statute in this circumstance while other, such as Mississippi, do not.

There is a recent US Supreme Court decision which seems to indicate that attorney fees of a reasonable nature should be awarded. The case is US Airways v McCutchen. Here is a detailed summary of that case: http://www.fortworthinjurylawyer-blog.com/2013/09/the-united-states-supreme-court-says-equitable-defenses-may-limit-the-subrogation-rights-of-erisa-pl.html

In short, attorney fees of a reasonable nature can and should be awarded in this context.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best wishes going forward and please rate my answer positively (4 or 5 stars).

Thanks