Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide employment and discrimination law advice in my own practice.
18572087

I had an emergency appendectomy due to an ruptured appendix

Customer Question

I had an emergency appendectomy due to an ruptured appendix about 3weeks ago. However, I didn't have a short disability insurance at time, my employer does offer it. Could I be paid after I obtain a policy, when I return back to work tomorrow or would it be too late to apply. I simply don't want to be in a situation like this again. Also want some sort of future protection for my myself as well as my kids.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that you find yourself in this situation. But as far as policies are concerned, they are not retroactive in nature--if you apply 'today' for a policy, that policy will begin protecting you from today's policy date. At this point it may be wise to apply in case of future concerns, but retroactively the policy has no obligation to cover you or your losses. I am very sorry!

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.