John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

I signed a contract with a company to drive trucks. I found

Customer Question

I signed a contract with a company to drive trucks for them. I found out that the company has a great lack of integrity and honesty. I left the company. I was contacted by their recruiter/collections person who said that I owe them $2500 for leaving the company before the one year contract was expired. Basically it is like buying a job from their company. I thought it is illegal for a company to charge a potential employee to work for them. Who is right?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is***** have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today.

Tennessee doesn't have an anti-kickback law like a lot of states do, but there is federal legal protection in that all wages to be considered that but be paid free and clear f any obligation. To add to that you must be paid for all hours worked. So it would be against the federal Fair Labor Standards Act to demand money back for no other reason than quitting.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.