Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

Our company recently changed the email policy. According to

Customer Question

Our company recently changed the email policy. According to the new policy, each employee's company email contains 'employee's [email protected]' and their picture. However, some employees disagreed with this new company email policy. They said that they fill uncomfortable with using their full name in the company email and posting their picture. They said that it discloses their privacy. Is it illegal to use their full name in the company email with personal picture?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

No, it is not illegal to require an employee to disclose their full name and picture in connection with their employment as no law creates an enforceable "privacy right" with respect to one's name or picture. I can understand how some employee's might be put off by this, but there is nothing at all illegal about the requirement.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. I have one more short question. some employees said that when they started at work, there was no such company policy at that time. They said that the company just created the policy now and asked them to follow. That is their one of supporting argument. Is it illegal to adopt or create a new company policy?

Thank you for your reply.

An employer is always free to adopt new policies or to change existing policies. By the logic these employees are advancing, a company could NEVER change the way it did business without firing it's whole staff. That is neither a good result for the employer or the employee, and it is not what the law requires.

The law affords employers extremely broad discretion with regard to how they can run their business. Unless something is expressly illegal, they can require they employees to do it as a condition of further employment. It's a bit unfair, but an employee's recourse if they do not like how their employer is running its business is to search for work at another company's with practices that are more acceptable.

I hope this clarifies things. Again, please feel free to let me know if you have any further concerns. If I have answered your question, I would be very grateful for a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you.

Very best wishes.