Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I Govt Contractor and was terminated in a right to work

Customer Question

hi, I Govt Contractor and was terminated in a right to work state because I complained about working 2 jobs and only being paid for one job. The company I worked for is based out of MD and I actually work in the state of AL. I am also a Disabled Vet at the time of termination. This is the short version of the story... there is a lot more to it.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am afraid I do not understand what further information you would like from us? Please explain, since you were told by the firms in AL that there was no legal case (the case has to be brought in AL, since that is where you are employed and MD law quite frankly is not really different regarding at will employment).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sir,
I was hired by the contractor to do work on the Govt Contract only. Which is GFE (Govt Furnished Equipment). For the last past 5 years I have also been working Govt property, which I have not been getting paid for. These are two different jobs. The Govt has a slot for a General Supply Specialist but will not fill that slot because My contractor apeases the govt and had me doing the work for free. Some equipment came up missing during an annual "Govt inventory" and the contractor said I was responsible for the missing equipment (even though it was on the govt hand receipt). It was $20,000.00 worth of equipment... I was terminated by the contractor and all of the equipment was found within a week of my termination. My former clerk, she quit 30 days prior to my termination for a new higher paying job. She was re-hired the week after I was terminated in my old job position.
I am a Disabled Vet
I am over 50 years old
I am also a black male.
I have never had any disciplinare action while working for the contractor over 5 years. Also considered an excellent employee.
I was told I was suspended for one day and fired that same week.I hope this helpsGregory.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was told since my contractor was based out of the state of Maryland. I should contact a lawyer from that state since it is not a "right to work state".

Thank you for your reply.

If you were terminated solely based on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin, then you would first have to file a complaint with the EEOC anyhow. So you can do that before finding an attorney. If you were not terminated for one of those reasons, then employment in AL and MD is considered to be at will and the employer can terminate you for no reason at all or for any reason and they do not have to rehire you either. The only reason they cannot terminate you for is as I said above, age/race/sex/disability/national origin, but for any other reason they can exclude you from employment or reemployment I am afraid.

You can seek an attorney in MD, but unless you have more evidence of one of those above reasons being the only reason for the termination, you would not have a basis for a legal claim.