Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

If I quit my job but owe my company (1 yr contract) can I

Customer Question

If I quit my job but owe my company for training (1 yr contract) can I make a deal with them to erase my debt if i agree to give them more than a days notice? i.e. I will work 2 or 3 more weeks to complete transition to someone else. Otherwise I will quite immediately and just pay them back. I am just concerned want to make sure it wouldn't be considered fraud or blackmail. I am not trying to be dishonest, just trying to find away to make both parties happy.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

This is absolutely not fraud or blackmail. Unless your contract requires you to provide a certain amount of notice, you are an "at will" employee and free to quit at any time. Staying on for an additional 2-3 weeks provides a benefit to your employer in that it eases your transition to someone else. You are free to offer that benefit in exchange for something that benefits you, such as a waiver of your training repayment obligation. This is how settlements and negotiations work. Of course, your employer does not have to agree, but they cannot take action against you for making the proposal, or for quitting without notice assuming your contract does not require you to provide notice.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.