John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

Colorado - how can an employer potentially go back to an

Customer Question

Colorado - how long can an employer potentially go back to an employee to reprimand them for something alleged. Nothing officially was done. But innuendo's are being made.
Is there something like a statue of limitation on how many years can elapse?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today.My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today.

A reprimand isn't the equivalent of a legal action, it is, rather, an internal policy matter between employer and employees. There is, as such, no legal limitation on how long an employer has to reprimand an employee. Unless the employer has contractually limited itself to a time limit in which it may reprimand, then it is free to reprimand indefinitely on the matter. Generally, only a unionized employer would have a limitation period on time it can discipline, and that would have been negotiated with the union first.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as itis the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT; if not the site keeps your money on deposit.