John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

My immediate supervisor will not permit co-workers to

Customer Question

My immediate supervisor will not permit co-workers to contact me, nor will she allow me to respond to work emails while I am on FMLA (I am out with a broken knee). She says it's "illegal" and has told staff that to. Can she prohibit such communication?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today.My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today.

FMLA does make it illegal for the employer to require the employee to work while on FMLA leave, so I do agree with your supervisor that, to the extent you are working, when accessing emails and contacting co-workers that could be arguably unlawful under the Act. She's being over cautious in my opinion, but I can somewhat see her point. You could theoretically turn around and file a complaint with the DOL that your FMLA was honored.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as itis the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT if not the site keeps your money on deposit.