Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

Is it legal company to 1) only give certain people a COLA?,

Customer Question

Is it legal for a company to 1) only give certain people a COLA? For instance, they gave everyone in the office one except me. They said that because I had been promoted a week before, and that promotion came with a raise, that I wasn't eligible for the COLA. And 2) is it legal for that COLA to be different amounts and/or percentages for different employees in the same office? I know one employee who received a 40 cent raise, and one employee who received a $1.00 raise. I very much appreciate any help you might be able to provide. I work in Ohio and my pay checks come from our home office in Tennessee.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

This is legal unless the employer's reason for denying the COLA is a legally protected trait, such as race, religion or gender. Otherwise, no law requires employers to treat all employees equally or to otherwise be fair.

I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

Hello again,

I just wanted to followup with you to make sure that you did not have any further questions or concerns. For some unknown reason, the experts are not always getting replies or ratings (which is how we get credit for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have not yet received either. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the site administrator.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed.

Very best wishes.