John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

Can a nursing home make a nurse work more than 12 hours in a

Customer Question

Can a nursing home make a nurse work more than 12 hours in a day
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

No, they cannot do that unless they experience an unforeseeable emergent circumstance which is any of the following:

1. An unforeseeable declared national, state or municipal emergency.
  2. A highly unusual or extraordinary event which is unpredictable or unavoidable and which substantially affects the provision of needed health care services or increases the need for health care services. These events include: an act of terrorism; a natural disaster; and, a widespread disease outbreak.
  3. Unexpected absences, discovered at or before the commencement of a scheduled shift, which could not be prudently planned for by an employer, and which could significantly affect patient safety. Except as provided in this definition, no time period is set for when the call in must occur and the Bureau will review each case individually.

Vacancies arising from chronic short staffing are not an unforeseeable emergent circumstance.

You can file a complaint with the state if this is not the case.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the nursing home can not make a nurse work more than 12 hours in a row
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Correct, with the above exceptions

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as itis the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** you all the best with this matter.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require furtherassistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.