Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Employment Law Expert
11068102

If your benefits are currently being paid to you in Texas do

Customer Question

If your benefits are currently being paid to you in Texas do you have to remain a Texas resident to continue receiving benefits?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

What kind of benefits?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

As a general rule you can move to another state while continuing to draw unemployment benefits and looking for a job in the new state.

There used to be a page on the Texas Workforce Commission's website that addressed this but I don't see it any more. however it is addressed in an article in the Houston Chronicle at http://work.chron.com/can-draw-unemployment-not-living-state-were-laid-off-10136.html

It is also addressed in a handbook that the TWC gives out and which you can see on page 12 of this PDF http://www.twc.state.tx.us/files/jobseekers/unemployment-benefits-handbook-twc.pdf

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

I saw your other post and am sending this so that, hopefully, you get a link sent to you so you can get back to this thread.