Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years practicing attorney
19958803

Last February 2015 I rolled over my 401k from a previous

Customer Question

Good morning. Last February 2015 I rolled over my 401k from a previous employer to my current employer. I just got an email from my previous employer stating that I was given an incorrect amount and I need to pay back approximately 5k. Legally can he do that? I would think the financial institution would be responsible. Thank you.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

If the employer can prove that the amount you received is incorrect, then yes, they can pursue its recovery under the legal doctrine of "unjust enrichment" which states if someone receives a benefit that they are not entitled to, they have to return or repay it. You aren't legally allowed to keep the money due to their error..

.

But if you refused, he would have to file a civil suit against you for the money and it might not be worth it to them to pay an attorney to do so...

.

thanks

.