Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

A former employee has been subpoenaed regarding a case she

Customer Question

A former employee has been subpoenaed regarding a case she worked on while employed with us 2 years ago. The case was closed to our services within 24 hours. Are required to pay her actual wages because she was working for us when she was on the case?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

You want to know if you should pay her for what? Was she employed with you, by you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I meant to specify she wants us to pay her a days wages for appearing in response to the supboena, since she worked on the case in question while under employment with the company.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

If the subpoena was in relation to testifying in court on behalf of your company or if it had anything to do with your company, then yes, you would need to pay her as if she was working her regular job. But if she was not employed with you at the time she was issued the subpoena then you are under no legal obligation to pay her to appear and give truthful testimony. It is really up to your company policy.