Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide employment and discrimination law advice in my own practice.
18572087

Can I be written up my manager to look into my pto? Our

Customer Question

Can I be written up for asking my manager to look into my pto?
Our company is going through organizational restructuring. hours. title. duties are changing and there is a lot of uncertainty. After we all had to sign new employee handbooks I noticed I have not been accruing the correct pto all 4 years I have been there. Today I emailed my new manager, accounting, and my old manager (who is still my higher manager) to ask them if they could look into it. A few hours later I was called into the chief of staff office so that she could talk down to me and ask why I included my old manager? She was being very hostile saying things like "I'm right here look at my face when you answer me!" as I tried addressing both her and my manager in response. I told her I didn't think I did anything wrong. She said I "knew better". She then said she would write a disciplinary report. Can she do that? What did I do wrong?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Was the issue that you potentially attempted to report to someone you no longer report to, or attempted to write someone one level above your current manager?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The issue she kept saying was that the new manager is my direct manager and i didnt need to inform anyone other than him. I told her i was specificly warned by my prevoius manager to always include him so that he is aware of what is happening. (He works offsite).

Thank you for your follow-up.

Is your previous manager aware that you are being disciplined? Was this order to you made in writing or in front of the new manager by this previous manager?