John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

RESENT RETIREE FROM A REGIONAL TRANSPORTATION ORG. OUT OF N.

Customer Question

I AM A RESENT RETIREE FROM A REGIONAL TRANSPORTATION ORG. OUT OF N. AURORA IL. ... WHEN I LEFT I WAS ENTITLED TO BACK WAGES TO BE DETERMINED BY THE TERMS OF THE PENDING (NEW) CONTRACT THAT WAS REPLACED BY THE CONTRACT THAT HAD EXPIRED... THE AMOUNT IN PLAY IS FAIRLY SUBSTANTIAL... I AM NOT SURE WHAT TECHNICALITY THEY ARE USING TO EXCLUDE ME, HOWEVER I AM THE ONLY ONE OUT OF FIVE THAT RETIRED IN THAT SAME CALENDAR YEAR THAT DID NOT GET COMPENSATED... DO I HAVE ANY RECOURSE OR OPTIONS THAT I CAN PURSUE...
YOURS, TRULY
JMc
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Unless they specifically excluded your job class or you had to be an active employee to get the retroactive pay per the contract, then I don't see how they are not violating the contract frankly. Your remedy for this would be through the union grievance and arbitration process, which you usually must exhaust before filing a lawsuit for the same. So, it would be advisable for you to contact the union and pursue the matter.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.