Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Former judicial law clerk, lawyer
26798026

I recently lost a temporary assignment that I obtained

Customer Question

I recently lost a temporary assignment that I obtained through an employment agency. My representative at the agency called me after 7pm last night to let me know of the assignment's end and she was bewildered. I had worked for the employment agency in the past and their clien's had nothing but good things said about me as a person and about my work. The client (a hotel in midtown Manhattan) said that there had been incidents where i had an attitude. The my agency rep. attempted to find out the details of these 'incidents' but was given no information. My rep told me to not let it ruin my weekend and that they were already working on a new assignment for me. I told my agency rep. that if anything, I thought the client had been inappropriate. I had worked there for a seven days and daily heard the staff, all white, make inappropriate comments about asians - the HR people were called the asian invasion to their faces. A young white man said that he would be spending the weekend with some mexican people and my direct supervisor called a black man 'sexual chocolate'. All of this was said in front of me and everyone else. Although the GM is asian pacific islander, the hotel lacks in diversity. There appeared to be few, if any, African Americans beyond service employees. There is more that I can say about the inappropriate environment, but I would like to know if I have any legal recourse.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

It sounds like the company is allowing a hostile work environment to exist. The owner's race doesn't matter if minority employees feel uncomfortable by the racist atmosphere. What is your race? (What really matters is, are you non-white?)