Ray, Employment lawyer
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
8534270

I am separating from a company after 37 years. They are

Customer Question

I am separating from a company after 37 years. They are offering one year severence, but i have several health issues and need medical coverage. Is there any presidence for getting health ininsuran?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you tonight.

You can certainly seek health coverage.It is rarely given these days.Under health.gov and Obamacare a change in job status/loss of job you are allowed to apply for medical care immediately without having to wait for annual enrollment.Also prior conditions are no longer applicable you are covered for any illness or condition.

If the employer will not agree to health care you can apply as of date of separation.It might be cheaper for you here as well.

Enroll here if you have too.

https://www.healthcare.gov/have-job-based-coverage/if-you-lose-job-based-coverage/

You can certainly ask about medical but since Obamacare came along employers are real reluctant to extend medical.You are eligible for health.gov because of job loss here.Again it may be cheaper for you.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

In the most typical agreement, the loss of coverage is considered immediate. Through a severance agreement, the employer agrees to subsidize the health coverage premium at a pre-determined amount and for a specific length of time once COBRA coverage is elected by the employee. Thus the COBRA maximum period of coverage (usually 18 months) begins on the date of termination.

If it is the intention of both parties to have the employer withhold COBRA premium payments from the employee’s severance pay, then the agreement should be stated as such.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

So you may want to ask for 18 months here and see if they will agree or counter offer.You also have health.gov when that ends.

Thanks again.