Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
19127644

I was employed as a parttime sales associate at Macy's

Customer Question

I was employed as a parttime sales associate at Macy's for 4 years. In the last 6 months or so, a new policy was put into place called Empowered Associate. That meant not calling managers for situations where the associate would be called on to make a decision.
I made several decisions that involved changing prices for the customer. I was let go today because they said that was too much empowerment and I should have called a manager. I said I was going to apply for unemployment insurance and they said they would fight it because they considered what I did to be a good termination. I never signed anything, and as a matter of fact when I was presented with the typed situation I refused to sign and I said I only did what I was told to do for the customer as an empowered associate.
By the way I am 72 years old and this was a part time job for 9.56 an hour.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the information and I am sorry to read about your situation. I don't see though where you have asked a legal question. For the sake of time I will assume you are asking if you will have a chance to obtain Unemployment (UI) benefits in this scenario. If that is not your question, then please state it in a reply to this answer.

If your employer disputes your eligibility for UI benefits, you will likely initially be denied benefits. However, you have the right, and should, appeal the denial. Upon appeal, your former employer has the burden of proof to show that you violated a known policy. If they can't, you will be approved. So, if the policies were not clear it sounds like they will not be able to prove their case.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 6th. For some unknown reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit(paid) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.