Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

I was put on mandatory leave of absence due to my mothers

Customer Question

I was put on mandatory leave of absence due to my mothers passing. Who should pay for this? The company or myself with my earned time .
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

THIS IS JUST A QUESTION. DO NOT RATE THE RESPONSE.

What do you mean "mandatory leave?" Do you mean that when the employer heard about your mother's passing, they just forced you to leave the building?

I'm just not sure what transpired here and would like some more details to better assist you.

It seems that you opened another question. I'm not sure why you did that. You can just reply here. I understand that you already paid a deposit, but that money is still yours until you rate an answer. I have not given you an answer yet though, because I need more information from you.

I'm not sure what the issue is here, but you seem to not be seeing my responses.

In employment law, there is no requirement for bereavement leave. An employer can choose to offer it, but they don't have to offer it. If you asked to take time off following your mother's passing, the employer has no legal obligation to pay for that time off, so they can require that you pay for it with your personal vacation time.

If you have other questions, please ask. I've answered to the extent that I can without the additional information that I requested.