Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

Does an employer have the right to request to meet with and

Customer Question

Does an employer have the right to request to meet with and with two other HR personmel to discuss your position and responsibilities. Can the employee also ask to have a colleague or a lawyer present in the meeting?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel. I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

Generally, it is up to company policy. And with "administrative" hearings of this nature, generally the answer is no you do not have those rights.

If you want to give me your state of employment, I can review those statutes to see if there is anything more specific than it would have to be policy of the employer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I am Director of Publications, Washington DC. Can I request that one of my colleagues be present?
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

I suggest there are no laws in the District of Columbia mandating the employer allow you to have a colleague or other witness present during an administrative hearing with the employer. This would be up to company policy. And if they have allowed in the past, then they would need to allow it with all employees